"It was the best of times, it was the worst of times, it was the age of wisdom, it was the age of foolishness, it was the epoch of belief, it was the epoch of incredulity..."
Dickens, Tale of Two Cities
Dark times are coming with Trump, whose election was greeted with joy by the Israeli Government and hand-holding by the UK Prime Minister, Theresa May. But the fear of what is being planned by the White supremacists and others in the Trump menagerie has moved millions worldwide to demonstrate against him, virtually all of whom can be won to support Palestinian freedom.We are not defeated - Zionist institutions ADL and Reut Institute are warning that, despite lavish funding and dirty tricks, the Israeli war against BDS has failed to stop the impressive growth of the movement's impact on Israel's regime of oppression.
Israel promotes and thrives on the Islamophobia that the anti-Trump demonstrators are opposing as a deadly threat to all of us. We need to explain to those in support of victimised refugees how Israel has long created refugees and ciontinues to create refugees through ethnic cleansing in the service of a state based on Jewish ethnic supremacy.
So many questions we need to discuss together. You will be welcome to join SPSC activists for a weekend of discussion and exploration of issues in beautiful Pitlochry next month.
- What does Trump's support base among White supremacists inside his inner Cabinet as well as internationally mean for the Palestinian people and Palestine solidarity campaigning?
- Why did ex-US President Obama give Israel a parting 2016 bonus of $38b in military aid, together with a rap on the knuckles for expanding illegal settlements?
- Why is Israeli Jewish society increasingly supporting genocidal violence against Palestinians to such an extent that even senior Israeli generals and politicians are comparing Israel today to Germany in the 30s?
- Why is the SNP leadership moving towards explicitly Zionist politics without any visible internal opposition, as Scottish Labour did much earlier, e.g.
*opposing the Palestinian call for BDS
*claiming ‘democratic’ credentials for the Apartheid State of Israel
*officially accepting the Israeli Government claim of supposed joint interests between Scottish Jews and the State of Israel?
- What are the realistic prospects for Palestinian liberation amidst devastating civil war and brutal dictatorships across the Middle East, thousands drowning in the Mediterranean to escape the carnage unleashed by Bush and Blair and now different air forces competing to bomb different bits of Syria?
- How do we defeat the current all-party effort to criminalise much of Palestine solidasrity activity while the flowm of British weapons continues to Israel? What can we learn from past UK Government efforts to criminalise the weapon of public criticism to defend the indefensible?
- How do we navigate these stormy waters to continue to deliver effective solidarity to the Palestinian people facing incremental genocide?
We need to have clear aims and work out practical means to achieve them. Join us in that effort.